Does the thought of planning a photo session and everything that goes with it drive you into panic? Relax, I’ve got you! Last month, I was chatting with a fellow mom at a social event. I told her what I did and she responded by telling me that she’s never had a professional photo shoot with her family, that everyone online just looks so perfect, and the process seemed too overwhelming. Let me be the first (of I’m sure many) to tell you, what appears online is not real life. Instagram is a highlight reel; even when I share a tough parenting moment in my captions, it’s always paired with a beautiful photo.
Below, are some tips that I give my clients to help alleviate some stress when it comes to planning their photo sessions. Leave your thoughts in the comments and let me know if you’ve done anything that’s not on the list!
- Mom (or the primary person scheduling the photo session) choose your outfit first. It’s easy to get drawn into something cute you see for your child, believe me, I know. But kids have many more outfit choices than adults, so to help answer the question, ‘What do we wear?’ start with what looks and feels best on you.
- Make sure everyone is well-rested. Ideally, parents like to plan around nap time and I do my best to work with your schedule and mine to make this happen, but it doesn’t always work out that way. Making sure kids aren’t cranky is key to a successful family session. And if all else fails, move onto number 3.
- Don’t be afraid to bribe your kids. I would be lying if I said I never promised a fro-yo run after a photo session with my own kids if they promised to listen and behave for the photographer. Don’t be afraid to bring snacks to your session and give them to your child when necessary. Just make sure it’s nothing messy or that will turn their hands and teeth a different shade!
- Let go of perfection. I tell my girls every day that perfection is boring. When you look back at your photos, you want to remember your child just as they are, spunky personality and all! Let them be themselves, and I promise you, you will leave the session with memorable images of your family.
- Have a favorite activity. Can’t think of anything? I will give you something to do! Many of my sessions are spent running, chasing, and exploring the environment around us. Sometimes we play tag, other times, we dish out compliments. Photographing your family genuinely interacting with each other is what I love most about my job.
When you book a signature session with The Framed Narrative, all clients receive a full guide on what to expect and how to prepare for their session.